Monday, March 10, 2014

Putting Lipstick on Grandma at 97

My grandma recently turned 97...in the hospital. She fell and broke her hip, the good one. She will not be going home again.

When I was preparing to visit grandma, I thought to myself what can I do for her that will make her feel wonderful? What does she love in her personal care? Food? Leisure? What are her favourite things in the world?!

Instantly I thought about how important her hair and nails have always been to her so I went to the store and bought a nail file, buffer, nail polish remover and grandma's favourite shade of pink. I also bought hand cream to give her a gentle hand massage. I knew that the family had organized someone to do her hair regularly so I would simply fluff it! I also bought some prewashed mixed berries. Another favourite of grandma's.

As I walked into her hospital room yesterday, she was sitting in a chair wrapped in a blanket. Grandma looked so small and fragile, it was everything I could do to hold back my tears, to smile and pour energy into her room. To make her look and feel beautiful like the grandma I had always known.

Grandma woke as I was setting the bags down, she smiled and said, "Is that you, Kim?", and I hugged her and said, "Yes."

I pulled out the hand cream and pink nail polish and gave her a manicure. She was so excited. Her skin was so thin and cold. I fluffed her hair and then I said, "Grandma, would you like lipstick?".
She says, "Do you think I need it?"
I said, "Absolutely! Shouldn't we always look as good as we can?"
Grandma smiled and said, "Yes, we should."

See, grandma always wore lipstick, so why not now? The only reason  she is not wearing it is because it is hard for her to do it herself. So I searched her drawers...I found several boxes of "Pot of Gold" -the typical hospital present. And then I see her lipstick. I put it on her and then I mix hand cream and lipstick on my hand to make like a cream blush and dab her cheeks Grandma looks like grandma again. She is so beautiful and now she's glowing. My sadness has lifted.       


Just before I leave, grandma says, "I'll have to put my hands on top of the blanket so everyone can see my beautiful nails."

In my 44 years of knowing my grandmother, I have never felt so close to her. I have never touched her like I touched her, cared for her like I cared for her. This gift to my grandmother was a much greater gift to me. I will learn from this experience, share it and cherish this memory forever.

By: Kimbery Irwin, Beauty and Hair Expert at AgeComfort.org Health Care Resource Centre

Photo Credit: Haircuts on Wheels

No comments:

Post a Comment